Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Wanted Dead or (preferably) Alive

So, my RL friends know that I recently returned back to work. I'm actually working at my old investment banking firm located down on Wall Street (read: lots of time to catch up on The New Yorker magazine while on the subway.)

Anyway, I had worked for this firm about 10 years ago and when I returned there last week, all that kept going thru my head was "It's all the same ... only the names will change ..."

But, there's another reason why the song has stuck in my head.

"Everyday, it seems we're wastin' away.."

I think its because I remembered what a rat race that industry (and others like it) can be - especially in New York City, where it seems the norm to stumble into the office at 8:30am, work all day, order dinner at the office around 8pm, call a car to take you home to your overpriced apartment that you spend no time in anyway, and then wake up the next morning and do it all over again.

The image of the Bon Jovi boys exhausted at the end of the Wanted Dead or Alive original video came to mind instantly. In any case, I don't plan on adopting that lifestyle any time soon (once in a lifetime is plenty.)

So anyway, I'm back at my old company but with a new approach ... a bit reminiscent of This Left Feels Right. Now, I know that some of you out there don't like it so much and that Jon Bon Jovi has called the record self-indulgent. But, I gotta tell you ... I think it's BRILLIANT.



I love the groove of this version. I love the different sounds. I love the cool, calm delivery.

"I've seen a million faces ...
I've seen an awful lot of faces."
(this line actually makes me laugh ... did he mean an awful lot in terms of numbers or an awful lot in terms of a bad-lookin' bunch ... inquiring minds want to know! LOL)

One thing I will concede is that perhaps they should have maybe released JUST the dvd. I mean - this is a band that is known for its amazing live performances and I think that seeing them perform these versions (and damn, those Borgata shows were awesome) is what could have sold it better.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Whenever Jovi fans discuss this album, its always interesting (and I'm always in the minority.)