Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Now THAT'S What We're Talkin' About!

So, Friday night at Madison Square Garden. Geez, what can I say?

It was one of those nights that fans live and breathe for -- that perfect combination of a band at the very top of its game, in a legendary venue, doing a never-ending set of your favorite songs (ok, well a number of your favorite songs. LOL)

There was an expectation that night two in Madison Square Garden was going to blow night one away. But, I'm not sure anybody (except for our fearless leader Jon Bon Jovi) knew just how special it was going to be. I have the feeling he was determined to make a significant statement right there in the center of the universe. An epic show that people would be talking about for some time to come ... yeah, that is a nice way to take on The Big Apple.

Up until the encore set, I still thought the show was just a truly good show. The band was considerably tighter than the night before and firing on all cylinders. Transitions between songs were seamless. Every guy on stage was in the moment. Even when they came back on stage and started Dry County, I thought, "ok...not a huge surprise" BUT when they just kept playing ... and playing ... and playing ... When Jon told Tico to sit on down cuz they weren't done yet ... THAT'S when I think the "OH.MY.GOD." realization hit everyone.

With the crowd cheering them on, Bon Jovi ended up doing eight songs in the encore set Friday night. Not sure when was the last time THAT happened. Don't shoot me, but I still don't think it beats that MSG HAND show ... but it was darn close.

As an aside: As Jon kept calling out song after song, I couldn't help but have this HUGE smile on my face. It seemed like Jon was right and "the harder I worked, the luckier I got." I had worked my a$$ off for months to buy those 2nd row tickets ... teaching dozens of extra card classes, spending every free hour working on designs and cutting paper, climbing up and down 5 flights of stairs with all my class materials. It was worth every minute of it. :-)

Well, at some point the evening did have to come to a close. And end it did ... with Just Older. Did you notice that as the more we approached today (Happy Birthday Jonny!) the more that song has shown up in the set list? Hehe. I hear ya, Jon ... I'm having some issues of my own with the whole turning FORTY thing. I really don't feel that old ... well, except after four concerts in four days. But, "It's Alright!" LOL.

It was so great to see so many friends during those two NYC shows -- from Europe, the UK, South America and all across the United States. I know everybody both on the fan club trip and not had a fabulous time because THAT is what Bon Jovi is about ... bringing people together from all around the world.


...oh, before I forget ... yet MORE pictures from that night ...


I love the look on Richie's face ...



He really proved to be Superman that night ...



So close ... yet so far away LOL



Sing it, David!



Yeah, Jon ... it's me ... again ...



I do really love that guitar ...



...and Tico, the one who keeps it all together ...



...my sentiments, EXACTLY! ...



Okay, that's all for now. Yes, I still have many more pictures to go thru. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with all of them now, but ...

Anyhoo, next up on the blog is Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes at Wellmont (one FANTASTIC night) ... and next up in my concert life is the NYC Hit Squad at Iridium tonight. To all those going to JBJ's birthday show in Philly, have fun and sing loud! :-)

Ciao for now ...