Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Absolutely PRICELESS

Last Night. Inside the Actor's Studio taping. Priceless. That's all I will say.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Ok, so that's not ALL I will say. haha

But, I only got 4 hours of sleep so this will be part 1 as my nose is just about to hit the keyboard. Splat.

Seriously, I don't know where to begin! When I got into the hall (first row balcony - woo hoo unobstructed view) the first thing I saw was Richie's doubleneck guitar. THAT is when I knew this could be a special night. Little did I know it would just get better and better and better.

First off, this was not Inside the Actor's Studio with Jon Bon Jovi as it was billed - it was ITAS with BON JOVI, THE BAND. Yes, 4 hours of Jon, Richie, David and Tico talking, playing, joking, laughing, telling stories. It was a very open, honest, spontaneous evening. I have a feeling that at a few points James Lipton didn't know what to do with these 4 brothers. LOL. It was very different than his usual one-on-one.

As for the music part - acoustic performances of songs were interspersed throughout the night. They opened with We Weren't Born to Follow - which was perhaps one of the biggest highlights of the evening for me. Acoustically, the song is absolutely stunning. My friend JerzyJovi and just sat there in awe. After the song, you simply couldn't even speak. Gorgeous. Uplifting. Personal. Cuts to your core type of performance.

The other songs played were Prayer (more on that in part 2 of the review ... later ... when I have had some coffee ...), Wanted, Blaze of Glory and Who Says (twice ... also, more on that later.)

I think having them play throughout the interview really helped put all the members at ease a bit ... though, admittedly, the stop and start is hard as a performer. You can tell how Jon just really feels more comfortable when his guitar is in his hands. I think that's one of the great things about that instrument (versus, say me and the bassoon) ... you can just pick it up and its ready to go (more or less.)

Okay, stay tuned for more ... like little comments I jotted down throughout the evening, getting to meet Richie after the show and some of the answers to "The 10 Questions" James Lipton always asks (Richie was particularly funny with those!)