Monday, June 14, 2010

Speechless...

Good Monday morning y'all! There is, of course, much more to come from my night at The Tony Awards ... but honestly, I have a killer headache from drinking a WHOLE LOTTA champagne at the after-party. I also fear I have no voice after cheering (rather loudly LOL) for all my favorites the whole night.

Of course, the first order of business is to congratulate Joe DiPietro, David Bryan and the entire cast and crew of MEMPHIS. Its been an incredible journey and last night was the crowning moment. Most shows go thru several stages (both literally and figuratively) during their lifespan. MEMPHIS has had a long, long road to get to where it is now. And as I have told Joe, so many of us fans have followed it since its early days and so for us, just as with the cast, seeing the success it now has achieved feels personal. When you think about the songs that have been cut, the scenes that have been re-worked, the blood, sweat and tears that have gone into the product you see on stage, its staggering. Being there in person to share the experience will forever be in my heart.

Hearing David Bryan's name be called from the podium at Radio City Music Hall was a thrill. Watching the camaraderie between him and Joe was so wonderful -- their partnership isn't some "made in the factory" collaboration. The connection between them not only as artists but as PEOPLE is so refreshing to see. I still think those two need to start their own stand-up comedy routine. The way they feed off one another is so natural and so genuine. I truly can't wait to see what is coming for them down the road (which, by the way, is several more shows ... including one that is well underway!!) So, David and Joe -- thank you for letting us into your hearts and souls. Its a great place to be ... can we all stay a bit longer?

Okay ... mushy stuff over. LOL

I've gotta go for now -- probably should have taken the day off of work, but alack and alas, a good portion of my vacation days are being used for David's other job. In any case, I will be back later with more of my time at The Tonys ... including my dress near-disaster, the after-party chaos and what's up next. :-)