Tuesday, January 27, 2009

So ... What Are Your Top 5?

Seeing this clip, don't you want to just sing...
"Jon and Richie sat on the dock ...." LOL

This made me think what my top five records would be ... lordy! I figured if Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora could do it, so can I ... right?! Geez ... I'm not sure. So, in no particular order this is what came to mind right away:

1. These Days (Bon Jovi) - I don't think I need to explain this to anyone reading this blog. It is the only Bon Jovi album from which I cannot pick one favorite song. Impossible. Between Hearts Breaking Even and These Days and This Ain't A Love Song. SO many great songs on that one record.

2. Better Days (Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes) - It was a toss-up between this and "Reach Up and Touch the Sky" which I also just love. But with songs like Soul's on Fire and Coming Back I just had to go with this one. It also has these great instrumental preludes to most of the songs which is wonderfully unique.

3. Peter and the Wolf/Pictures at an Exhibition - This was an old 45rpm of the NBC Orchestra from my father's collection and the record he used to introduce me to classical music. It obviously had a huge impact on me and I chose the bassoon after listening to Peter and the Wolf. And, I can't say enough about Pictures ... truly one of the great classical masterpieces with orchestrations that are out of this world. If you have never heard the piece, I HIGHLY recommend it.

4. Aloha from Hawaii (Elvis) - This was one of my mom's records and the one I would find myself always sneaking into the living room to steal. I remember trying to learn the words to every song and I remember sitting on the floor and playing it with my parents the night he died. I still play his version of My Way all the time. And Suspicious Minds is an all-time fave.

5. Kind of Blue (Miles Davis) - I came to know this record after moving to NYC. I remember going to some little club downtown one night and the table next to me was talking endlessly about it and I figured it was worth checking it out. It was what Oprah would call an "Aha Moment" as it opened my eyes to a much larger world of music. I spent that entire weekend in my apartment eating Chinese with this on continuous play. (I still do that sometimes ... LOL)

So, there you have it. This is at least today's list of my top 5 ... ask me again in a few months and who knows. That's the joy of music ... its ever-changing based on your environment and mood at the time.

I'd love to hear your choices.