Thursday, April 16, 2009

Oh Canada ...


So, this little bit of news arrived in my inbox earlier today ... made me happy and sad all at the same time.

Riders Add Nyenhuis
The Saskatchewan Roughrider announced on Wednesday that the team has signed import defensive lineman Gabe Nyenhuis to a one-year plus an option contract. Financial details were not released.

Nyenhuis, who stands 6’4" and weighs 275 lbs, spent the past two seasons with the AFL’s Philadelphia Soul where he recorded 42 defensive tackles and 12.5 quarterback sacks. Prior to joining the Soul, Nyenhuis spent the previous three seasons with the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts, Atlanta Falcons, Jacksonville Jaguars and Seattle Seahawks.

Nyenhuis spent his final two seasons of college football at the Univeristy of Colorado. In 25 games with the Buffaloes, Nyenhuis recorded 85 tackles, eight quarterback sacks and 24 tackles for a loss.
Well, with Gabe, Matt D'Orazio and Phil Bogle all playing in Canada (as I'm sure other Soul players are) I think it may be time for a road trip. I really have no idea what I'd DO in Saskatchewan, but I'll figure it out.

All I can say is ... I hope that this is a very short stint for our boys up in the Great White North. We need them back in Philadelphia, playing at the Wachovia where they belong.