Sunday, June 21, 2009

Papa, Can You Hear Me?

Today is Father's Day.

My dad took me to so many concerts - all kinds of concerts - pop, classical, jazz, country ... you name it, we saw it.

I think he is a big reason I became a musician - his love for music. We would "argue" over different recordings of Brahms symphonies and he would always chastise me for my lack of devotion to Bach (sorry Dad, still not one of my faves ... now Beethoven on the other hand ... or Shostakovich ... but I digress.)

And sports! Football and baseball and golf. I know my love for those sports comes from him. Lots of afternoons out on the links laughing and cursing (him at his driver and me at my irons.) Every session would end sharing a Coke and a Snickers bar in the clubhouse.

And football season, FORGET IT! Him and his damn Chicago Bears ... me and my fabulous New York Giants. And never the twain shall meet! I just wish he would have been able to visit while I was involved with the Soul but I lost him a few years ago - I'd like to have introduced him to some of the players and have a good conversation with Coach Munsey.

And, he liked Jon Bon Jovi - thought it was okay for his daughter to listen to and be inspired by him. I think Jon's love of Sinatra and Elvis and good rock-n-roll went a long way. So, this video is for my dad. He would have loved it. I hope you do, too.



Miss you Dad.