Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Going Down in a Blaze of Glory

So ... it has been quite a day.

Last night I noticed that my computer was moving rather slowly ... I really didn't think anything of it at the time. Then, when I woke up this morning the whole thing had crashed ... no internet, no files, no nothing - just a big blue empty screen!

Of course, I completely freaked out. Remember Carrie's reaction on "Sex in the City" when her computer died? Imagine that - multiplied.

So, I packed up my computer and shlepped down to Best Buy near Lincoln Center. I didn't know if they could help me, but I had to try something - anything.

All that kept running through my head as the Geek Squad was making faces at my computer and pushing buttons and plugging and unplugging things was Jon Bon Jovi singing "I'm going dooooowwwwwn in a blaze of glory...."

Then, as time continued to pass by ever-so-slowly, the song changed and I found myself humming "Its gonna take a miracle to save us this time ..."

But, in the end ... the Geeks totally saved the day and I still have my files, my pictures and all the fan fic I've been collecting (shhhhhhh.)

SO ... lesson learned. I bought an external hard drive and am now backing everything up - though the Geek's parting words as I skipped out of the store were ... "Hey! This drive only has room for 285,000 Bon Jovi photos - you might need to scale back a little."

LOL