Thursday, August 20, 2009

Just Remember ...

Greetings Jovinuts! Sorry I have been a little slow in posting lately. Work has been BRUTAL. Also, I was weary of moving that "Not Fade Away" video too far down the front page for fear Fiction Mistress would hunt me down. (just kidding...actually she's gonna be here in The Big Apple this weekend ... woo hoo!)

Ok ... "We Weren't Born to Follow" is growing on me. I was actually singing it on the subway on the way to work this morning ... I found that quite ironic considering the mundane rat race I was in at that moment - NYC rush hour is the ultimate in "following." It did sort of make me want to break free of it all and run for the exits though. LOL

So, today's post is about the fact that many fans out there are making assumptions about what the new record is going to sound like based on this first single. Ahh...but remember what they say about the word ass-u-me. I, myself, am just going to patiently wait (ok ... well, probably not so patiently) to hear what the boys have prepared for our listening pleasure.

I have learned that sometimes first impressions can be wrong and that making generalizations often leads to revelation, and sometimes regret, a bit later. So, in celebration of things not always being what they may seem, here's a video of one of my all-time favorite "rockers" (both the song and the band. haha) I love this video - HRH not wanting to get off the stage and the discussion of what song they should do. I still laugh every time I watch it.



side note: I also have a particular love for this song as it is part of my "Bon Jovi's Guide to Non-Profit Management" seminar that I've presented several times. And, no I'm not kidding! Wouldn't Jon Bon Jovi be happy to know that his songs are being used to help people who have devoted their careers to the non-profit sector?

Here are a few of the individual sessions:
-- "Livin' on a Prayer" (the challenges of a start-up non-profit organization)
-- "Right Side of Wrong" (getting your documents - bylaws, 501c3 status, etc. in place)
-- "Destination Anywhere" (developing a strategic plan)
-- "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" (dealing with the huge issue of staff burnout)
-- "Good Guys Don't Always Wear White" (looking for funding from non-traditional sources)
-- "Keep the Faith" (surviving the evolution of the organization thru "founder's syndrome")

I gotta tell you ... nothing helps you get thru a long day of seminars like some fantastic music! :-)

Well, time to get back to the grind ... oooooh ... coffee ... ok, another cup of coffee and THEN back to work! LOL