Thursday, May 26, 2011

Elvis, Elton and More ...

*currently singing Loverboy's "Everybody's Working for the Weekend"*

Greetings folks! Hope this finds you well. Here in the States we are all anxiously awaiting the weekend ... Memorial Day Weekend, the generally accepted start of summer. For me, this weekend means two things:

1. Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes tomorrow night in Amagansett. Remember what happened last time I went out there? Luckily, we are not under a hurricane watch this time. As for an appearance by Jon Bon Jovi -- as fun as it would be, I'm actually more excited about possibly hearing "Some Things Just Don't Change" ...c'mon SSJ, you did it at least TWICE in Scandinavia, it's our turn!!

2. The Early Elton Trio out on Long Island on Saturday. I absolutely love these guys. It will be interesting to see them in a large-scale setting (outdoor park, picnics, fireworks, etc.) versus the smaller venues I've experienced. Jeff Kazee's version of "Madman Across the Water" at the January show still remains the single most amazing performance of 2011. Honestly, it's going to be hard for something to top that.

So, bring on the weekend! Good music. Fun times.

Oh! Speaking of good music, fun times ... many of you know I went to see Elvis Costello this week. A bunch of you asked if I took pictures. Is water wet? Is ice best served with vodka? Do you always get ketchup on yourself when wearing white? In other words ... yes! I took pictures. Here are a few.

The fabulous Spinning Wheel used to help the audience determine the setlist. Wouldn't it be a hoot if Bon Jovi used one? Apparently, the Jukes had one several years ago.



...as you can see, it's a pretty big wheel! I'm not a fan of audience participation (as in "you come up here on stage and mangle the song") ... but THIS kind of involvement I fully support! LOL



Elvis is in the building!





...this was a shot I got when he walked up the aisle right next to me. Very cool.



Keyboardist extraordinaire, Steve Nieve.





...and you thought David Bryan's outfits were...ummm...interesting? Haha.



It was a truly fantastic show. Great interaction with the crowd. Wonderful playing. A TON of songs - I Want You (my personal favorite), Alison, Hand in Hand, Hoover Factory, Accidents Will Happen, Veronica ... of course (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding (still trying to process the video on that one) ... and kick-a$$ covers of the Stones' Out of Time and Prince's Purple Rain. If you have never seen Elvis before, I highly recommend that you do! There is a reason why great songwriters cite Elvis Costello as one of their favorites. Brilliant.

Okay...that's all for now. Will be back with thoughts on the Jukes show in Morristown last Friday, as well as Lorenza Ponce's "Apocolypse (Not Quite) Now" show at Stanhope House on Saturday.

Til then. Keep rocking!
xoxo
BAJ