Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Year In Review

Okay...so it's a little late, but nonetheless, here it is. My 2010 in a nutshell (wow! now, THAT'S a loaded statement! LOL)

*I can't find my envelope with all my Jovi ticket stubs...I'm bummed*

Top Ten Shows
I had the privilege of attending A LOT of events this year...some memorable, some not-so-much. Not nearly as amusing as Letterman's Top Ten, but probably more meaningful ... here's the list in order: (you can click on title of each to read the corresponding blog post)

1. Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes at The Stone Pony (July)
I went to over 25 SSJ shows in 2010 ... each one of them was an unforgettable and unique experience. But this show, in particular, holds very special memories for me. In addition to an amazing set list on a perfect summer night, there was humor beyond belief as well as some personally poignant moments. I still carry around Andy York's guitar pick as a reminder of that night. It was clearly the #1 show of the year for me.

2. Bon Jovi in Honolulu (February)
Paradise + Bon Jovi = *Sigh*
It was a treat to completely miss the snowstorm in NYC, instead opting for mai-tais on the beach and beautiful evenings under the tiki torches. Less of a concert and more like two open rehearsals, we were lucky to hear some incredibly rare tracks that hadn't been played in YEARS. What a great way to kick off The Circle "Centipede" Tour.

3. Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes at The Paradiso in Amsterdam (October)
Don't even know where to begin. A lot of laughter, a bit of sadness. It was an incredible show in an absolutely gorgeous venue with some of my closest friends. It kicked off four wacky days of cars, trains, trams, planes and wine, beer, chocolate and pastries (the 4 major food groups?)

4. Bon Jovi opening the "New Giants Stadium" (May)
What a crazy whirlwind THAT was! The Big Apple became Bon Jovi Central for that week. Everybody and their brother coming to the States for the shows ... my crazy Germans, the Italians, the Aussies, the UKers. A little bittersweet now - it was the beginning of some great friendships and the end of some others. Let's not talk about night 4 though ... ouch ... poor Jonny.

5. Early Elton Trio at BB Kings (March)
Easily one of my fave shows of the year. What is it about EE shows always happening when I'm having a crap week?! Divine intervention maybe? Whatever the case, there is nothing like rediscovering great songs you forgot about while watching fantastic musicians playing their hearts out. Nice.

6. Bon Jovi at Soldier Field Night #2 (July)
My hometown. My childhood best friend. Turn the Page. Damned. Need I say more? LOL

7. Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes in Amagansett (September)
What a night!! There was a hurricane-ish. There were great songs. There was free wine all night. There was Jon Bon Jovi. *smile*

8. Lorenza Ponce at The Living Room (May)
I was lucky enough to see Lorenza perform several times during the year, but this one was made extra-special by the dozens of Jovi-ites who were able to attend and the kick-ass afterparty upstairs. Now, THAT was a record launch!

9. Southside Johnny/Jukes AND Bon Jovi at Blossom (July)
Ahhh, Cleveland ... but not quite. Couldn't miss going to this show knowing that my two favorite gangs o' guys would be there together. Ok, so Jon might have been a little loopy due to the pain meds, but he still rocked the whole evening.

10. The Tony Awards (June)
Theatre-wise, it was the year of MEMPHIS. Sure, I saw other things too but lordy, how many times have I seen that show?! So to be there when they won the Tony was out of this world. Don't think I've EVER cheered so loud. Oh, and the afterparty with the American Idiot guys was fun too ... painful the next morning LOL ... but a lot of fun at the time! Haha.

So there you have it. The year that was.

There were so many other good nights - Lifehouse, Daughtry, Melissa Etheridge, Sugarland, kazeedigs (and its poster that I still covet), Rick Springfield, new artists, old artists, other Jovi shows, other Jukes shows. Hopefully, there are more good nights to come...you never know what tomorrow will bring, so you gotta live every day.